Use this recipe for a light dinner or quick lunch. It’s easy to make, tastes delicious and is low in fat. What’s more it’s full of natural protein. And guess what? Lentils are packed with cholesterol-lowering fiber.
Yield: 8 servings
Here’s what you need…
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken broth, fat free, reduced sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground toasted cumin
- Optional, spoonful of fat free cottage cheese
- Optional, dried parsley
- Put the olive oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and salt. Sauté for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander and cumin; stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup to your desired consistency. Serve with cottage cheese and sprinkle with dried parsley if desired.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 240 calories, 2g fat, 35g carbohydrate, 18g fiber, and 16g protein.